- Professor of Applied Consciousness Sciences at the Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, University Medical Center Regensburg, Germany.
- President of the Society of Consciousness Sciences and Culture of Consciousness (Gesellschaft für Bewusstseinswissenschaften und Bewusstseinskultur e.V., GBB)
- Neurophysiology of states of consciousness during spiritual practice; psychophysiological analysis in spiritual practitioners from various traditions
- Classification and real time monitoring of neuronal markers of states of consciousness and cognitive processing
- Design and testing of a tool for the analysis of conscious and cognitive processing in comatose and locked-in patients
- Development and programming of the brain computer interface “Thought Translation Device”
- Various neurofeedback studies for training the self-regulation of slow cortical potentials and brain rhythms of the EEG, ECoG and MEG
- Brain-computer-communication in locked-in patients
- EEG-feedback studies in combination with fMRI
- Neurofeedback studies in epilepsy therapy and attention deficit syndrom (ADS)
- Transpersonal EEG studies and studies of anomalistic phenomena such as telepathic interaction, extrasensory perception, and direct mind-machine interaction
- Sonification of brain signals (orchestral brain music)
- The Sensorium: A therapeutic feedback environment for self-perception and awareness of physiological signals
- Evaluation research in psychosomatic medicine
- Psychosomatic Medicine, University Hospital of Freiburg
- Heiligenfeld Kliniken, Bad Kissingen, Germany
- Deutscher Hochschulverband (DHV)
- Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft (DPG)
- Gesellschaft für Bewusstseinswissenschaften und Bewusstseinskultur (GBB)
- Gesellschaft für Anomalistik (GfA)
- Wissenschaftliche Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Parapsychologie (WGfP)
Date of birth: Juli 10th, 1968
Family status: Unmarried
Place of birth: Schw. Gmünd – Mutlangen (Germany)
1975 – 1979 Primary school Wäschenbeuren
1979 – 1985 Mörike Gymnasium (grammar school) Göppingen
1985 – 1988 Technisches Gymnasium (grammar school) Göppingen
July ´88 – Feb. ´90 Social service at "Klinik am Eichert" (Dept. of Surgery), Göppingen
Oct. ´90 – Aug. ´96 Studies in Physics at the University of Ulm. Specialisation in Physical Electronics, Biophysics, and Laser Optics.
Diploma thesis at the Dept. of Experimental Physics. Title: "Optical Measurements at Sub-Picosecond Time Resolution" (supervisor: Prof. Dr. O. Marti)
August 1996 Diploma (equivalent to M.Sc.), “sehr gut” equivalent to “grade A”
Sept. - Dec. ´96 Research student at the University of Ulm, Dept. of Experimental Physics
Jan. - April ´97 Employee at Robert-Bosch GmbH, Reutlingen with Steinbeis Transfer Center Ulm
May ´97 – Dec. ´99 Research assistant and Ph.D. studies in Physics at the Institute of Medical Psychology and Behavioral Neurobiology (head of department: Prof. Dr. Niels Birbaumer), University of Tübingen, Germany. Dissertation project on "Communication via Electrocortical Activity" (supervisor: Prof. Dr. Hanns Ruder).
December 1999 Dr. rer. nat. (Ph.D.), Dissertation: “Entwicklung und Optimierung eines Gehirn-Computer-Interfaces mit langsamen Hirnpotentialen“, (magna cum laude).Faculty of Physics, University of Tübingen, Germany.
Jan. ´00 – Dec. ´05 Postdoctoral fellow at the Institute of Medical Psychology and Behavioral Neurobiology, University of Tübingen: Research, programming and technical responsibility for various EEG-feedback studies.
Jan. ´06 – Jan. ´08 Senior research fellow at the University of Northampton, School of Social Sciences, UK, department chairman: Harald Walach; funded by the German Research Society (DFG)
April 2007 Habilitation in Behavioral Neurobiology and Neuro-Computer Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tübingen, Thesis: 'Development and Applications of the Thought-Translation-Device (TTD): A general-purpose Brain-Computer Communication System'.
Feb. 2008 – Feb.‘11 Research fellow at the Institut für Umweltmedizin und Krankenhaushygiene, Freiburg i. Br., Germany. Funded by the Samueli Institute of Information Biology (SIIB), CA, USA, and the Beckley Foundation, Oxford, UK.
Since Mar. ’11 Professor for Applied Consciousness Sciences at the Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, University Medical Center Regensburg, Germany.
Since April ’14 President of the Society of Consciousness Sciences and Culture of Consciousness (Gesellschaft für Bewusstseinswissenschaften und Bewusstseinskultur e.V., GBB)
German (mother tongue), English (fluent), Latin, some Spanish
Various Windows applications, extended programming experience in C++, Matlab, Pascal, Delphi, interface programming, networks, Linux